The Minimalist Mom started as a place for me to document my family’s journey to a minimalist lifestyle. Fed up with clutter stealing our dollars and time, I took the plunge in September of 2010 and donated, sold and recycled five car loads worth of house wares, electronics, clothing and furniture. Months later my husband was offered an overseas job opportunity. We sold all of our furniture and donated another car load of belongings before moving.
Minimalism continues to be one of the greatest gifts I have given myself and my family.
What can Minimalism give you?
- Time: less time cleaning, tidying, shopping, fretting. More time living, connecting, pursuing dreams and sleeping.
- Money: we paid off $80,000 CDN in debt in just under two years. By far the biggest thing that helped us beat debt was embracing a simpler lifestyle.
- Space: you don’t always need to move into a bigger home to get more space. Once we reduced what we owned we had spacious closets and rooms. And we didn’t have to increase our mortgage to get them.
Want to know more? Here are some posts to get you started.
- Donating 80% of my wardrobe: I still don’t regret donating a single thing.
- A Minimalist Guide to Baby Essentials: one of the most popular posts on this blog.
- Taming the Toy Box: how many toys do kids really need?
- Not married to a Minimalist: some strategies if you think you can’t pare down because of a spouse/roommate/partner/kids.
Thanks for stopping by and good luck with your minimizing efforts. I promise it’s worth it!
Disclosure: some guides and books linked to on this website have affiliate codes in them. Should you purchase one of the guides I will receive a percentage of the sale price.