A friend emailed me last week that she has gone minimalish (love this word!) and is working on her wardrobe. It was a heavy dose of inspiration from moi and Katy that sent her on a closet purge. This friend won’t be living with 100 things, or a 1000, but she likes the concept of less stuff and more time. I love that she is so open minded to embrace some change.
Said friend just took a load of items to consignment. Among her cast offs were 8 pairs of jeans and that left her with 12 pairs in her closet. No judging! This is what I love about getting minimalish. Take things to the level that you are comfortable with. For some that is 12 pairs of jeans, for me that’s just two pairs. And right now, for young Henry, that’s just one pair of jeans.
Henry and his one pair of jeans have taught me a few things in my relatively brief tenure in motherhood.
1. If you can spot clean it, it can be worn again.
2. Size adjustable toddler clothing is worth the higher price tag.
Henry’s adjustable chords in 2-6 month size were worn for 10 months and they still look great. I favor H&M for jeans and pants with pull through elastic and buttons (GAP has them too but I find they are of the same quality as the H&M versions but cost more). We have less clothing but it last longer. The adjustable items are also very well made with real pockets and the pants are made from a four panel pattern instead two.
Here’s a run down of what we’re wearing through winter.
Rachel’s Jeans, Sweaters, etc
- bootcut blue jeans: Mavi brand Molly style.
- black skinny jeans: from Banana Republic. Require a lot of spot cleaning at knee/toddler height.
- striped open neck sweater: I had to check the designers website to see if I was wearing this sweater correctly. Fashion maven I am not.
- purple sweater: gift from my mother-in-law at Christmas. It’s long enough to wear with tights as a tunic if I am feeling leg confident.
- short sleeve sweater: like the sweetheart neckline of this sweater.
- cream cardigan: this was a post-baby purchase and I’d like to replace it.
- purple long cardigan: has finally stopped shedding!
- three t-shirts and a tank: v-neck black tee, long sleeve black tee, gray tee and a black tank that I wear as basics or layers.
- black flower shirt: Banana Republic flower shirt. Yes, I wear a lot of black. Need to work on getting into colours more.
Henry’s Jeans, Sweaters, etc
- overalls: lined for warmth.
- adjustable jeans: I’m a bit shy about skinny jeans for myself but not for Henry.
- houndstooth pants: adjustable waist on these as well.
- Deux-par-deux pants: almost out of these but they are very nice quality. Henry wears cloth diapers that put him up a size or two in bottoms from the extra bulk. I’m holding onto a lot of bottoms just in case he potty trains early and can wear them again next winter.
- red sweater: love this on him. Ralph Lauren from my mother-in-law.
- blue ski sweater: Hanna Andersson brand and will hopefully be wearable next winter as well.
- hockey sweater: another gift, adorable!
- six tees and long sleeves: mix and match of brands and lengths used for layering.
- two Halo onesies: these are dri-fit for when Henry goes to Crossfit. Kidding!
Next week: accessories and dress clothes.
The complete list of our wardrobes is here. Note: we both have less than 33 things. I’m working on a list of things I’d like to add which I’ll list when I wrap things up.
So tell me, how many pairs of jeans do you own? And how many of them do you wear regularly?
Like what you read here at The Minimalist Mom? Sign up by RSS or Email to get posts delivered to you. You can also find The Minimalist Mom on Facebook(I’ve deleted my personal account but have a page for this blog). Comments are always read, appreciated and responded to – even if we don’t agree on the subject at hand.